Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rock the Quote: Joe Versus the Volcano

Go ahead and laugh at me. Everyone does. But, I'll say it loud and proud: I love the much-derided Hanks-Ryan bomb Joe Versus the Volcano.

I am not alone. Check out this guy, who looks all sort or ironic hipster cool. He got a tattoo of the lightning bolt used as a visual throughout the film. I'll call him Seth. I think he'd want to be my friend if he knew our shared love of JVtV.

And consider this haters: it is written and directed by John Patrick motherfucking Shanley ... who also wrote Doubt. It rocks some heavy philosophy like Doubt, but instead of bickering nuns, we get Meg Ryan (playing 3 roles quite brilliantly) and Tom Hanks in a quirky not-so-romantic comedy about a man with a "brain cloud" willing to sacrifice himself to a volcano for the chance to live it up a little first.

Anyway, I love it and still think it's much better than people give it any credit for being. And so does Seth. And I'm sure he drives a Vespa and listened to MGMT way before you knew they even existed. So I feel validated. And now you so want to be in our club. But you can't ... until you drink the orange soda and confess that you love this deep, weird tale which contains one of my favorite quotes of filmdom ...



"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Meg Ryan as Patricia Graynamore

(Yeah, I know this has nothing to do with horror, but it's a blog ... roll with it people ...)

6 comments:

  1. does living in a state of near constant wonder count as being awake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess looked at in a different way, living in a state of constant and total amazement could just mean you are stupid. Ha!

    More importantly ... JVTV has pulled Mrs. Hall into its philosophical web ... one of us ... one of us ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote!
    Dreaded Dreams
    Petunia Scareum

    ReplyDelete
  4. see that was a joke. I do not in fact ride the short bus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a total Joe v the Volcano fan!

    ReplyDelete